Re: LRE and numbers

From: Simon Montagu (smontagu@smontagu.org)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2009 - 05:53:21 CST

    Hi Itai,

    It's unclear to me whether you applied the Bidi Algorithm manually or
    with an existing implementation. I suspect that the cause of the 4 and 3
    zigzag in embedding levels is an error in applying rules X10 and W7 of
    the algorithm. After rule X9, the embedding levels are:

    ivrit 1 2 3 bdika
    11111122222111111

    There are then three runs:
    Run 1 is at level 1, sor is R, eor is L.
    Run 2 is at level 2, sor is L, eor is L.
    Run 3 is at level 1, sor is L, eor is R.

    Then when searching backwards from the European numbers in rule W7, the
    first strong type found is sor, which is L, and the type of the numbers
    changes to L.

    In rule N1, the neutrals (spaces) between the numbers also change to L.

    Rules I1 and I2 then have no effect, so the embedding levels do not
    change, and after reordering the result is

    akidb 1 2 3 tirvi

    as expected.