Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 21:29:00 CST

    On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Leo Broukhis <leob@mailcom.com> wrote:
    >> Because this creates "emoji mode" and modes are bad. (Sometimes I see
    >> people say that state is bad when they really mean to say that modes are
    >> bad.)
    >
    > No more than any existing quotes create a "quotation mode".

    But quotes do create a quotation mode; there is a start quote, and an
    end quote, and what's between them is special. It's just that the
    quotation mode isn't something to be interpreted by computer--it's
    interpreted by wetware, not software. You would create a emoji mode
    that would have to be interpreted by software, which is disliked.