Re: Emoji and Search Engines

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 21:27:38 CST

    Kenneth Whistler <kenw at sybase dot com> wrote:

    > Ewellic, on the other hand -- as the author of the script himself has
    > attested on this list -- is not widely used, nor does it require more
    > than a private agreement for PUA code points for the few who might
    > actually wish to exchange data.

    That actually made it into my Q & A page:

    "Are you trying to get Ewellic added into the Unicode Standard itself?
    "No. To be encoded in Unicode, a script or character must be
    demonstrably useful to a much larger group of users than the small
    handful of enthusiasts who have expressed interest in Ewellic. The WG2
    'Principles and Procedures' document recommends 'use of the Private Use
    Area... if the proposed character has an extremely small or closed
    community of customers.' This is what I have done by proposing the
    Ewellic alphabet for CSUR. Probably thousands of people have invented
    their own alphabet; mine is perhaps just a bit better documented than
    most."

    http://www.ewellic.org