Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Michael D'Errico (mike-list@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 09:16:41 CST

    >> There is a chasm a mile wide between plain text and XML
    >> and this is a way to bring them closer together.
    >
    > It's already been done before with the TAG characters in
    > plain 14. The general consensus has been it's not a good
    > idea and that there's not much advantage to bringing them
    > closer together, and those characters have been deprecated.

    The tag characters are very different, actually. They are
    used to indicate that the following text is written in a
    particular language. This is modal, and everyone seems to
    agree that modes are bad.

    In my proposal, you could (not sure if it would be a good
    idea or not) specify one script is for English text, and
    another is French, for example. Then you write all of your
    English in the English "script" and all French in the French
    script. There are no modes when doing it this way.

    > Maybe thirty or one-hundred thirty years from now people
    > will think differently, but at this point in history this
    > plan has been considered and rejected.

    By who, you? Or is there a general consensus? And exactly
    how do you propose to solve the problems that this idea
    solves? Remember the emoji are text -- that has been proven
    by the amount of support by key UTC members -- so you need
    to encode them in plain text, not markup such as URL's or
    IMG tags, or XML.

    Mike