Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Julian Bradfield (jcb+unicode@inf.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 11:42:20 CST

    On 2009-01-06, Michael D'Errico <mike-list@pobox.com> wrote:

    > In my proposal, you could (not sure if it would be a good
    > idea or not) specify one script is for English text, and
    > another is French, for example. Then you write all of your
    > English in the English "script" and all French in the French
    > script. There are no modes when doing it this way.

    More or less what Emacs/MULE does to keep different East Asian
    character sets distinct!
    I'm in the process of unicodifying XEmacs, and having some such scheme
    (internal to XEmacs) is something I've thought about for those who
    want to preserve the distinctions. Of course, the external file
    encoding would have to be ISO-2022, or Unicode with language tags or
    something else modal, or nothing else would be able to read the files.
    Curiously, everybody finds it a complete pain that in XEmacs, all the
    ISO-8859-n upper halves are disjoint, but some people really dislike
    Han unification.

    Scotland, with registration number SC005336.