Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Mark Davis (mark.edward.davis@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 16:23:22 CST

    I'll second Asmus.

    We cannot forget that when we set out to design Unicode, pragmatic
    interoperability was a key goal. We never had a "pure" standard, divorced
    from such concerns.

    (I hear various comments about "industrial Goliaths" on these threads -- but
    without the support and active involvement of industry and governmental
    organizations, Unicode would have been an interesting academic exercise, but
    no more than an academic exercise. And if anyone on this list is interested
    in academic exercises, they are free to start their own.)

    Instead, our goal was to produce a standard that would allow us to have as
    consistent an architecture as possible -- to enable effective and efficient
    implementations -- *and* to interoperate well with a host of standards and
    practices in widespread use: national, international, and vendor. The
    Unicode Standard has added misc symbols many times before: Dingbats, Misc
    technical symbols, ARIB symbols, etc., just for that reason.

    Of course the scope of Unicode changed over time. Initially, for example, we
    were not really aiming at encoding archaic scripts. I think at one time we
    had excluded encoding Braille as well. But it continues to be driven by
    pragmatic concerns of interoperability. And having the emoji symbols encoded
    will be far more useful to many more people than, say, the Phaistos disk
    symbols.

    Mark