Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2009 - 06:03:33 CST

    2009/1/7 Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>:

    > I don't think anyone has complained about the 0.1% of available code space
    > that these will occupy.
    >
    > They aren't roadmapped for the BMP, are they?

    They aren't roadmapped anywhere yet. According to the latest BMP
    roadmap <http://unicode.org/roadmaps/bmp/> only the following blocks
    of BMP codepoints are not either already allocated or firmly spoken
    for:

    0860..08FF (160)
    1AB0..1AFF (80)
    1C80..1CCF (80)
    2FE0..2FEF (16)
    A9E0..A9FF (32)
    AB00..ABFF (132)

    That's room for exactly 500 characters, and the emoji proposal is for
    618 new characters. So clearly there is no room for emoji in the BMP;
    and even if we could squeeze them into the little remaining space, it
    would be much better to have them in one chunk outside the BMP (Plane
    14 seems a good place for characters that are being encoded for
    interoperability reasons) rather than scattered throughout the BMP in
    six different blocks.

    Andrew