Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2009 - 17:00:23 CST

    -1

    Asmus, and others... This bit of e-fashion is becoming annoyingly
    e-common. Please, if you want to add your voice to what someone else has
    just written, then please write something that requires more than one
    bit to relay. Or at least truncate their note.

    Receiving an e-mail that says merely "+1" -- i.e., exactly one bit of
    information -- followed by the /complete /note that was just sent by
    someone else is annoying. It's like, 1000/1 noise to signal.

    And it's popping up more and more on the Unicode list and this list.

    Please de-sist.

    Just my 2 cents.

    (And next time I see a particularly egregious example on the Unicode
    list I think I'll also mention this pet peeve over there...)

        Rick