+1/-1 in e-mail comments (was: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy)

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2009 - 03:23:25 CST

    Am Donnerstag, 8. Januar 2009 um 00:00 schrieb Rick McGowan:

    RM> Receiving an e-mail that says merely "+1" -- i.e., exactly one bit of
    RM> information -- followed by the /complete /note that was just sent by
    RM> someone else is annoying. It's like, 1000/1 noise to signal.

    In a discussion driven by opinions (besides facts), as the emoji
    discussion is, "+1" carries more than one bit of information
    as it is to perceived in conjunction with the name of the sender.

    Scanning through a large bunch of lenghty mails while being time
    constrained, a "+1" is perceived faster than any text like "I agree to
    this" (at least by me).
    Like an emoticon.

    - Karl Pentzlin