Re: Hand characters (was: +1/-1 in e-mail comments (was: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy))

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2009 - 14:23:12 CST

    Hans Aberg suggested:

    > There are
    > U+216D WHITE UP POINTING INDEX
    > U+216F WHITE DOWN POINTING INDEX
    > on my computer. represented as hand with an index finger pointing up/
    > down.

    The pedant in me wishes to point out (not up or down) that
    U+216D and U+216F are the ROMAN NUMERAL ONE HUNDRED and
    ROMAN NUMERAL ONE THOUSAND characters, respectively. While
    perhaps relevant to what we do or don't know about what
    the Romans did, I supect that what Hans had in mind was
    instead U+261D and U+261F.

    So a big:

    > WHITE DOWN POINTING THUMB

    for the message QA.

    > Counting that right/left hands can be used, as well showing front/
    > back, and four directions, two colors white/black, there are
    > 2^5*2*2*4*2 = 1024 hand characters.

    Ah, but this proposal neglects to note that in addition to
    the 2^5 combinations required to represent all possible combinations
    of finger extensions for a human hand, some provision needs to
    be made for lateral finger contact versus separation. Otherwise, there
    is no way to distinguish:

    WHITE UP-POINTING PALM OUTWARD ALL FINGERS EXTENDED RIGHT HAND

    from

    HALT SIGN

    or from

    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER SIGN

    Nor would this proposal pass muster for its potential discrimination
    against those born with a sixth digit -- or for that matter,
    those having lost a digit due to unfortunate accident.

    Furthermore, I see the need for combinations or control functions
    to indicate hand orientations involving tip-to-tip articulation
    between thumb and fingers. Otherwise, there is no way to
    represent:

    A-OK SIGN / MONEY SIGN / BRAZILIAN WELL WE WONT GO THERE SIGN

    --Ken