Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Van Riper (van.riper@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 12:01:55 CST

    Might I digress briefly to ask a procedural question?

    Clearly, there is no consensus emerging in these discussions. As a
    fairly impartial observer, I can also state that despite the volume of
     plain text (;-)) contained in the ongoing arguments there have not
    been any really new points raised for some time now.

    So, how do we best proceed in such a situation?

    I've hesitated bringing this up because as a fairly impartial observer
    it has been rather entertaining to follow the discourse here. =)

    Cheers, Van

    P.S. For those that don't know, I used to be a member of the Technical
    Committee during my tenure at VeriSign where my focus was on security
    considerations. Since my departure from VeriSign to work on more
    mundane consumer software, I am still a strong advocate of Unicode and
    have continued to monitor this list.