Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 17:22:48 CST

    > Then please, let's wait for two hundred years and let's see which of
    > those newly invented emoji stood the test of time. I really won't
    > object encoding the surviving ones retrospectively.

    80% of what is *already* encoded in the Unicode Standard
    has not stood the test of time -- they are archaic characters
    of no current use except for their existence in historic
    contexts.

    This is the thrust of Mark's comment awhile ago. The
    615 emoji in the proposal *are* in current use, and pose
    an interoperability problem now for current implementations.

    Whether or not they survive in current usage another 200
    years is beside the point. If they don't, they will just
    join the character ash-heap along with lots of other
    symbols, ideographs, and entire writing systems.

    People who seem so het-up about the Unicode Standard
    "promoting" the use of bunny-ear emoticons simply don't
    seem to have caught on to the implications of the existence
    and use of a universal character encoding -- as Marc Crispin
    has tried to point out, repeatedly.

    --Ken