Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 20:55:24 CST

    Quoting "Kenneth Whistler" <kenw@sybase.com>:

    > Michael Everson wrote:
    >
    >> The national flags, and the STATUE OF LIBERTY and TOKYO TOWER seem
    >> very much out of scope, unless the door is being opened to STONEHENGE
    >> and NEWGRANGE and all the other flags.
    >
    > They are in the emoji set, and in those particular cases
    > (except the STATUE OF LIBERTY) occur in more than one of the
    > vendor sets and are cross-mapped to each other. Hardly a case of
    > being "out of scope".
    >
    > As for the particulars, I guess nobody has been paying attention
    > to what I've said about the ten FLAG SYMBOL XX characters
    > (e-4E5..e-4EE). They are not symbols of countries, nor are
    > they symbols of flags. They are flag icons being used in
    > these sets as symbols for 10 common language localizations.
    > That is why I recommend that:
    >
    > a. the glyphs be changed to make that clear
    > b. the names be changed to EMOJI SYMBOL FOR RUSSIAN LOCALISATION
    > or something similar
    >
    > All the FUD about "all the other flags" is merely creating
    > roadblocks for accomplishing what needs to be done to get
    > interoperable cross-mappings for these 10 symbols in the set.

    A rose by any other name still smells as sweet.

    I am certain it would be almost impossible to find a person who was
    from a country not included in the 10 "flags/localisation symbols" who
    would agree the 10 are sufficient. Some things in life, including
    flags, are not neutral.

    Caution would be not to encoded any of the 10, the alternative is to
    open the doors.

    John Knightley