Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Christopher Fynn (chris.fynn@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 02:21:03 CST

    On 12/01/2009, Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    > Finally, I want to remind you again, that the decision tree for deciding
    > to encode compatibility characters is different from the decision tree
    > for ordinary characters. For the latter you start with "are they plain
    > text". For the former you start with "are they interchanged". That makes
    > all the difference in the world, and confusing these two cases, as
    > several participants in this discussion continue to do isn't helping
    > anyone. Let alone helping UTC come up with a solid decision.

    > A./

    If the criteia for encoding compatibility characters is different from
    that of ordinary characters - then perhaps they should be encoded in a
    block seperate from ordinary characters and not mixed together or
    unified. If this whole group is required for interoperability ~ then
    encode the whole group on one of the upper planes as a single block of
    emoji compatibility characters. This would give us the whole lot
    claimed necessary for interoperability and avoid the PUA or markup.

    - Chris