Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Leo Broukhis (leob@mailcom.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 23:21:53 CST

    On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Curtis Clark
    <jcclark-lists@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > On 2009-01-12 11:27, Leo Broukhis wrote:
    >>
    >> Ok, let's look from another angle. Does the standard say when a
    >> picture of a dog used within a Japanese text stops being a cute
    >> fantasy font glyph variant of 犬 and starts being a separate character?
    >
    > When the two are used together, and not interchangeably, if I understand the
    > standard correctly.

    Thank you. Now, to demonstrate non-interchangeability one has to
    present a minimal pair: a piece of text where only one character of
    the two "feels right". While I can think of such a pair in case of the
    DOG emoji, which, can be used, stretching the imagination not too
    much, instead of jocular "Arf!" as in "My dog sends his
    greetings/looks forward to seeing you again", etc. where neither "inu"
    in kana nor 犬 would do, I cannot for the life of me think of such a
    pair for the ELEPHANT emoji, to name one that has a kanji.

    Leo