Re: Emoji-- all or nothing?

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2009 - 05:05:53 CST

    2009/1/12 Rick McGowan <rick@unicode.org>:

    > However, in my opinion there would be significant "practical harm" created
    > by the *addition* of company logos and trademarked symbols. We would
    > certainly see a constant stream of requests to add such characters to the
    > standard, as all those companies would quickly get on the bandwagon and view
    > it as a great source of free advertising and legitimacy. I never
    > under-estimate the ability of corporations to find new ways of getting their
    > names and logos in front of more eyes!

    I know, we could designate Plane 13 as a Corporate Use Area, and
    accept registrations of corporate logos as characters in this plane
    (let's call it the "Corporate Registration Allocated Plane") at $1,000
    a character -- and the money Unicode earns from it could be put
    towards encoding real scripts and characters.

    Andrew