Re: Obsolete characters

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Fri Jan 16 2009 - 08:52:12 CST

    Quoting "Mark Davis" <mark@macchiato.com>:

    > Good points. There are two purposes, really.
    >
    > 1. I have an UTC action to update UTR#39, which provides for sets of
    > characters that people may want to exclude from identifiers. It has an
    > 'archaic' category, and I need to update the contents.
    > 2. Independently, in doing a character picker (
    > http://www.macchiato.com/unicode/char-picker), we found it useful to put
    > the archaic/obsolete characters in separate sections. This is work we are
    > looking at at Google, but we're also making the data available so that
    > others could use/tweek if they wish.

    The key in a character picker is making it easy for people to find
    what they want, assuming that people will not want certain characters
    is often counterproductive, nor as other have observed would be
    putting a collection of archaic characters from unrelated scripts
    together.

    > Note that there may have been some confusion from my message. By "obsolete"
    > or "archaic", we don't mean that the character itself is deprecated or that
    > people shouldn't use it; what we mean is that it isn't customarily used in
    > modern languages in typical publications (corner newspapers, magazines,
    > etc.). For example, you wouldn't expect to see words written in Cuneiform in
    > the NY Times. Of course, they may occur in technical journals, especially
    > those dealing with archaic languages, or have occasional decorative use.

    I would not expect most non Latin scripts in the NY Times. Magazines
    and journals worldwide can contain some pretty obscure characters.

    John K