Re: Großes Eszett

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Jan 23 2009 - 12:19:00 CST

    On 1/23/2009 9:54 AM, Phillips, Addison wrote:
    >> The problem is with the image title on the flickr site, btw.
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralf_herrmann/2827882077/in/pool-
    >> 386230@N21
    >>
    >> On IE7 using XP SP3 I see a 'box', on Firefox the letter is simply
    >> missing (no gap).
    >>
    >> Neither Firefox nor IE7 uses the Code 2000 font for this character,
    >> presumably because the text is sans-serif.
    >>
    >> A./
    >>

    > Interesting. My Firefox and Opera browsers show the character properly in the page, but my IE7 (on XP) doesn't. In IE7 it shows as tofu in the page. All of the browsers show tofu in the titlebar, which is to be expected. I would expect it to be rendered in the page though. From the glyph's appearance in Firefox, I'd guess that it is Code2000. Opera is getting it from somewhere else.

    I have to manually set the default serif font from TNR to Code 2000 to
    get the glyph to show up. (It shows, even though the surrounding font is
    sans-serif). I suspect that having selected TNR will block the Latin
    range for some reason, so that other fonts are not considered. Usually
    Firefox seems quite aggressive in locating glyphs on my system - it
    happily uses non-standard fonts for symbols - whatever is available.

    What does tofu look like?

    A./