Re: Braille, CJK and unicode

From: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (asmodai@in-nomine.org)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2009 - 03:52:00 CST

    -On [20090203 01:06], Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org) wrote:
    >I just ask for distinction between kanjis having the same pronunciation.
    >When several unicode characters actually represent the same symbol, it
    >is fine to provide the same feedback to the user (but we provide the
    >unicode character number).

    Potentially for Japanese you could map the kanji against a dictionary or
    first morphologically analyse it and then pass it through a dictionary (such
    as WWWJDIC) and convert the hiragana/katakana to braille using Japanese
    braille[1].

    Looking at some examples[2][3] it seems that this is indeed how Japanese
    braille works, they simply write everything out in their syllabary.
    But then I also saw [4] and it seems to indicate there are 8 dot braille
    encodings for various kanji.

    [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_braille
    [2] http://tenji-sien.net/kanji/preview/uvtenji3.jpg
    [3] http://www.charity.ne.jp/charity/COMMUNI/syousai/npo/tenji/kanji4.jpg
    [4] http://www.kantenji.jp/ikkatsu.html

    イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
    Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust...