Re: Emoji: Public Review December 2008: e-1DE CHINESE ZODIAC DRAGON

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 15:11:30 CST

    On 10 Mar 2009, at 18:44, Markus Scherer wrote:

    > 2009/2/20 Leo Broukhis <leob@mailcom.com>
    > I wonder what came out of this discussion. All 12 symbols - or close
    > approximations - are present:
    >
    > We considered this suggestion, and decided that this dragon symbol
    > was neither part of such a series nor specifically a Zodiac symbol
    > itself. We renamed it to just DRAGON as a result.

    That does not seem to be an entirely good decision. While I do not
    think that we should encode CHINESE ZODIAC DRAGON and CHINESE ZODIAC
    RABBIT, the fact is that in encoding DRAGON and RABBIT we are encoding
    characters which can (and should) be used for those functions.

    It does not matter what Japanese telecoms are using them for. It must
    be understood that once any of these characters are encoded, they
    CEASE to be "emoji" symbols, and are just plain old Symbols for Use By
    Anybody who wants to use the Universal Character set.