Re: Oxford proposes a leaner alphabet

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 15:56:54 CDT

    On 8 Apr 2009, at 21:19, Richard Ishida wrote:

    > Actually, I think some of my Bhutanese friends are way ahead of them
    > in terms of spelling reform. A couple of examples to hand:
    >
    > Hey, how have u been? din hear frm u for long time.....where r u?
    > how is ur family?.....keep in touch
    >
    > how r u? n how was ur journey back home? i hope u reached home back
    > to ur family safely. here we all r fine n missin all of u.
    > thank u very much for the pictures. m praying for the same
    > conference to be held sooon so tht all of us can come together
    > again.....hope to c u soon in future..
    >
    > Seems pretty common orthographic style amongst them.

    There is a formalization (though intended to be spoken):
       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globish
    This is not "simplified English", but rather what the constructor
    claims is natural speak.

    See also
       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanglish

    And some use the term SMSish for the shortened word forms used in SMS
    messages, sometimes only understandable among friends.

       Hans