Re: Oxford proposes a leaner alphabet

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 10:02:01 CDT

    On 8 Apr 2009, at 10:44, Damon Anderson wrote:

    > I personally think that ASCII should be eliminated for everything
    > except coding. In fact I would like to see a clear distinction
    > between ASCII and Unicode so that characters like "&" if typed as
    > text (i.e. Unicode) would NOT be interpreted as an ASCII interrupt
    > character in HTML/Java/PHP/.... etc.

    If one converts manpages into PDF on my system, "-" gets translated
    into non-ASCII hyphen, so that computer code examples cannot be used
    without first converting back.

    > But then, I dream of a computing world not dominated English, which
    > is why the system was broken to begin with.

    I think Bison has a lot of language translations, and there is
    AppleScript.

    But one problem is that one may having to communicate with someone
    which does not know your language. One guy write his master thesis
    about Bison in Spanish.

       Hans