RE: more dingbats in plain text

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Apr 17 2009 - 09:25:09 CDT

    From: symbols-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:symbols-bounce@unicode.org] On Behalf Of Johannes Bergerhausen

    > Johannes Erler of Hamburg based FactorDesign just updated his famous
    > dingbats collection for OpenType.
    > They are used worldwide by graphic designers in plain text.

    In what sense do you mean they are used in "plain text"?

    It appears that he has 12 individually-encoded fonts, in which case content is meaningful only when the content includes formatting information to indicate which font is used. By conventional definition, that is not plain text.

    Saying that they *are* used in "plain text" is different from saying that their usage is attested in text contexts, and that there is a *need* to represent them in plain text. I suspect that is what you may be thinking.

    Peter