Re: Localizable Sentences Experiment

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Apr 20 2009 - 09:26:04 CDT

    I have added some more sentences to the experiment and I have added a full stop to the definition of U+F9001. Hopefully the sentences provide the opportunity for experiments in language-independent two-way communication by email. The set of sentences thus far defined is as follows.

    U+F9001 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE GOOD DAY.

    U+F900F LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING TO MY QUESTION.

    U+F9010 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE THE FOLLOWING QUESTION HAS BEEN ASKED.

    U+F9011 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE MY ANSWER IS AS FOLLOWS.

    U+F9012 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE NO.

    U+F9013 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE YES.

    U+F9020 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE WHAT IS THE WEATHER SITUATION WHERE YOU ARE LOCATED PLEASE?

    U+F9021 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE IS IT RAINING?

    U+F9022 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE IS IT SNOWING?

    U+F9023 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE IS IT SUNNY?

    U+F9024 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE IS IT CLOUDY?

    U+F9031 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE IT IS RAINING.

    U+F9032 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE IT IS SNOWING.

    U+F9033 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE IT IS SUNNY.

    U+F9034 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE IT IS CLOUDY.

    I have also produced a font Localizable Sentences 002.

    This font is a superset of the Localizable Sentences 001 font.

    The additions are 63 glyphs, at U+F9000 and U+F9002..U+F903F, thus meaning that the Localizable Sentences 002 font has a glyph at each of the locations U+F9000 through to U+F903F. Each glyph illustrates the value of the code point. For example, the glyph for U+F9032 is U+f9032.

    I did at first think in terms of making a font for just the code points needed for these fifteen sentences, but then thought that if it was desired to add a few more sentences then that would mean a new font needing to be made, so I made a font with a block of code points having glyphs so as to allow for some expansion of the selection of sentences during experimentation without needing another font.

    As a result of publishing a note about the Localizable Sentences 001 font in the Unicode Public Email List a gentleman wrote asking why a font that states code point values was needed, as either a font would be needed that in some way displayed the localized sentences, or a display would be produced by special software which accepted the code points and displayed sentences directly using a conventional font. This is a good question. The answer is that if the experiment leads to full scale implementation then indeed a font that states code point values would not be needed: however, for experiments at the present stage a font that states code point values is very useful as it allows messages expressed using the code points to be analysed and manually localized.

    The font is available in a thread in the Gallery of the High-Logic forum. There is also a typecase_ file, made using WordPad using the save as Unicode Text Document choice, which contains all 64 characters.

    http://forum.high-logic.com/viewtopic.php?p=11303#p11303

    The font is also available as follows.

    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/LOCSE002.TTF

    If people are interested to translate the fifteen sentences into languages other than English and publish the results in this thread then that would be very helpful. The code point allocations are stated in this post using capital letters: for the translations, where into a language where the concept of capital and lowercase is meaningful in relation to display of text in that language, please use capitals and lowercase as in ordinary text. The English localization of the sentences should use capitals and lowercase as in ordinary text please.

    I am no expert on localization so the idea of these sentences may well raise problems of which I am unaware. If so, please feel free to mention them as I am happy to learn.

    William Overington