Re: Chinese forced to change their name hanzi

From: Julian Bradfield (jcb+unicode@inf.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 01:44:55 CDT

    On 2009-04-21, John H. Jenkins <jenkins@apple.com> wrote:
    > But I'm sure that your suspicions about the limitations of US and UK
    > systems are correct. I'm willing to bet that I would be unable to
    > legally change my name to 井作恆, which is a perfectly legitimate
    > name, let alone ??? ???????. (One of the

    In the UK, at least, you can change your name to amything you like.
    However, if you want some government-backed identification document,
    such as a passport, you'll have to choose an ASCII representation of
    it. If you want to deal with banks, shops or anybody else, you'll also
    need such a thing. Don't get hung up on the idea that you only have
    one name.

    Scotland, with registration number SC005336.