Re: NY Times: The Chinese Language, Ever Evolving

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon May 04 2009 - 12:03:33 CDT

    Back many, many years ago, there was a debate between simplified and
    traditional Chinese on USENET. I unwisely added to the debate by
    observing that, as someone who had to learn both systems
    simultaneously as an adult, I didn't find any real difference in
    difficulty between the two. I was at once shouted down as a foreigner
    who obviously didn't know what I was talking about.

    The NYT could have simply pointed people to the Wikipedia article on
    the debate. The arguments have been raging for decades and aren't
    going to stop any time soon.

    ====
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com