Re: Rendering of Candrabindhu & Visarga Dual Combination in Indic Scripts

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Fri May 08 2009 - 11:56:30 CDT

    2009-05-08 17.26, "Peter Constable" <petercon@microsoft.com> wrote:

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On Behalf
    > Of Andreas Prilop
    >> repha above vowel letter R
    >>     र्ऋ
    >
    > The sequence you typed displays fine for me in Win7 (I expect Vista would be
    > the same) and in Office 2007.

    I take that to mean that <DEVANAGARI LETTER RA, DEVANAGARI SIGN VIRAMA,
    DEVANAGARI LETTER VOCALIC R> should display as a repha on a base DEVANAGARI
    LETTER VOCALIC R-glyph.

    ========= in an earlier message:

    2009-05-06 22.31, "Kess Vargavind" <vargavind@gmail.com> wrote:

    >> On Tue, 5 May 2009, Doug Ewell wrote:
    >>
    >> repha above vowel letter R
    >>     र्ऋ
    >
    > I would say by writing U+0930 U+0943 (रृ rr̥). Whether it is displayed
    > as “r-hook above vocalic r” or “vocalic r beneath ra” depends on font
    > though.

    ========== my remark:

    I take it that <U+0930, U+0943> (DEVANAGARI LETTER RA, DEVANAGARI VOWEL SIGN
    VOCALIC R) should display as a base RA glyph with a VOCALIC R glyph below,
    and should *never* display as repha on a base DEVANAGARI LETTER VOCALIC
    R-glyph.

            /kent k