Re: Zhuyin font similar to Hangeul

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 16:11:26 CDT

    On May 11, 2009, at 1:20 PM, Gerrit wrote:

    > I’m wondering if it is possible to make a font for zhuyin which
    > behaves similar as Hangeul Jamo.

    Yes, but it would be difficult to do. It would be equally possible to
    do that with English letters and equally difficult. The main problem
    is that you're dealing with a script which wasn't designed to be
    combined into syllabic units (unlike hangul, which was so designed).
    Since this is never done in actual practice, you'd be entirely on your
    own to figure out how these characters would interact typographically.

    In any event, there's little real advantage to doing it since bopomofo
    really isn't used for running text. I've only seen it as furigana and
    in dictionary pronunciation data (although I grant that my experience
    with Taiwanese printing is limited).