Re: Arial Unicode font - Problems with Chinese characters?

From: Martin J. Dürst (duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp)
Date: Tue May 12 2009 - 02:54:32 CDT

    Hello Christine,

    The character you mention below (and others that use the same shape,
    such as 真, and so on) are the only ones that I have encountered in my
    more than 10 years of experience discussing Han Unification and
    defending it to people who brought up all kinds of problems with it
    where I have to say that indeed most modern readers will be surprised if
    they see the other (Japanese for the Chinese, and Chinese for the
    Japanese) form, and not be able to easily identify it (except from context).

    Given the large diversity of forms in Han ideographs overall, and in
    variations across glyph variants in particular, the line between what
    gets unified and what doesn't get unified in any case had to be a very
    thin line (and this isn't the fault of Han unification, any character
    standard, and even a glyph standard, has to have some unification,
    otherwise, it's going to be nothing more than an image format). This
    line was very carefully drawn, the overarching idea being a general lay
    person reading general purpose text.

    Given that there is only this one counterexample, I think that overall,
    Han unification has been carried out with extreme care, and with great
    success.

    Regards, Martin.