RE: Arabic Numbers in the unidode bi-directioanl Algorithm

From: Troy Louden (troy.louden@autodesk.com)
Date: Fri May 15 2009 - 15:53:49 CDT

    Thanks for the quick response. I think I have a clearer understanding now. This brings up a somewhat related question regarding the spec:

    W7. Search backward from each instance of a European number until the first strong type (R, L, or sor) is found. If an L is found, then change the type of the European number to L.

    L N EN => L N L

    R N EN => R N EN

    I took this to mean that the instance of the EN is switched to L only if an L was found, not if SOR or R was found, even if SOR was L, but this seems to generate incorrect results.

    What is the desired behavior of w7 in the case of a string of pure EN numbers (e.g. "123")? Are they all set to L or are they left as EN and bumped to level 2 when resolving implicit levels (3.3.5 table 5)?

    Thanks,

    -Troy