RE: Klingon anti-virus

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu May 21 2009 - 22:14:04 CDT

    From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On Behalf Of Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven

    > If the Consortium is adamant on adding the emoji stuff to the standard, I
    > honestly cannot see why something like Klingon, which actually has speakers,
    > could not be encoded.

    Er... A comparison of the size of the two user populations might be interesting right about now...

    According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klingon_Language_Institute), the Klingon Language Institute has around 2500 members. I don't assume that the speaker population is limited to that, though I would assume it is indicative of the order of magnitude.

    According to the proposal document submitted to WG2 (http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3582.pdf), there are around 78 million Emoji users in Japan.

    Even with the most generous estimate of the number of Klingon speakers, they are dwarfed by the Japanese Emoji users.

    Peter