Re: Dozenal chars in music

From: Mark Davis (mark.edward.davis@gmail.com)
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 12:40:34 CDT

    I don't believe the Ethnologue does so. If it did, it would disagree with
    ISO and IETF BCP 47, in which en means any English; en-US, en-UK, ...
    Similarly, fr means any French.

    Often one has to make a choice; for example, if I ask for an 'en' web page,
    I need to get either en-US or en-UK, or en-CA, or en-AU, etc. If you know
    other information about the user, you may be able to pick the best one. In
    the absence of such information, the typical choice is to go with the
    variant with the most users: en-US for English, fr-FR for French, etc.
    Unicode CLDR provides some information on this that people may use if they
    want:
    http://www.unicode.org/cldr/data/charts/supplemental/likely_subtags.html

    However, at a more fundamental level, the IDs used in the transforms are not
    BCP 47 ids. So "en-ipa" is not a BCP 47 language tag. For more, see
    http://cldr.unicode.org/index/cldr-spec/transliteration-guidelines

    (And, I want to emphasize again, the data is draft; fixes are welcome.)

    Mark

    On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 00:25, Julian Bradfield
    <jcb+unicode@inf.ed.ac.uk<jcb%2Bunicode@inf.ed.ac.uk>