Re: Pb with Unicode Tifinagh with Internet Explorer

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 25 2009 - 22:18:16 CDT

    On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Andrew Cunningham
    <lang.support@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I'm not saying that web developers should haveĀ  "intimate knowledge of a
    > half dozen browsers across three major operating systems."

    Then what are you asking? If you're telling me that you need to
    hardcode fonts that may or may not work depending on browser, that's
    exactly the result you get.

    > I'm saying that web developers should have knowledge of web typography as it
    > applies to the languages they work with.

    And I'm saying that <html><body><h1>Hi!</h1> <p>This is my home
    Just because some companies can afford teams of web designers to build
    massive all-dancing all-singing pages, doesn't mean we should force
    everyone who wants to put a page on the Web to have the time and
    knowledge to deal with that.

    Furthermore, from my perspective as a volunteer for Project Gutenberg,
    one of the great concerns about HTML is whether anything will be able
    to make sense of it a few years down the road. Forcing everyone to
    embed font names, fonts that will probably be rare in ten or twenty
    years, does nothing to help that, especially if the attitude is that
    the web browser can produce garbage if none of the listed fonts are
    found.

    --
    Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.