Re: Pb with Unicode Tifinagh with Internet Explorer

From: Andrew Cunningham (lang.support@gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 27 2009 - 22:37:05 CDT

    Hi Andrew and all,

    2009/5/28 Andrew West <andrewcwest@gmail.com>

    > 2009/5/26 Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>:
    > >
    > > with IE 8 on Windows 7, everything displays fine.
    >
    > Which is great, but does the end user have any control over which font
    > is used to display the Tifinagh text? If I have more than one Tifinagh
    > font on my system, and I prefer to use something other than Ebrima as
    > the default Tifinagh font (i.e. if the web page does not specify which
    > font to use), but IE will only ever apply the Ebrima font if no font
    > is specified, then in my opinion IE support for Tifinagh is incomplete
    > and unsatisfactory.

    My understanding is that IE8 doesn't let you select a default font for
    Tifinagh, hopefully that is something that the next version will fix. I can
    always hope ;)

    But that said ... no browser will allow you to set a preferred default font
    for Tifinagh. On Windows 7, IE8 will use Ebrima by default. The question is
    what will Firefox use as default for Tifinagh on Windows 7. Will you also be
    stuck with Ebrima in both IE and Firefox?

    If anyone knows how and why Firefox selects fonts, I'd love to know.

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew Cunningham
    Vicnet Research and Development Coordinator