RE: Greek Milesian numerals

From: Phillips, Addison (addison@amazon.com)
Date: Tue Jun 02 2009 - 09:29:03 CDT

    Hello Torsten,

    The Roman numerals encoded in Unicode, with the exception of certain, unique, archaic forms (such as U+2180), are compatibility characters: they exist as separate characters for compatibility with non-Unicode/legacy character encodings, fonts, or other sources. See Section 2.3 of Unicode [1]. They have compatibility mappings to plain Latin letters. For example, U+2161 (the "Ⅱ" character) maps to two uppercase letters "I" (U+0049).

    My understanding is that the Greek Milesian numerals don't have such a compatibility issue and thus are not separately encoded.

    Regards,

    Addison

    [1] http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch02.pdf

    Addison Phillips