Re: Fonts across platforms....

From: Andreas Prilop (andreasprilopwww@trashmail.net)
Date: Thu Jun 04 2009 - 09:38:36 CDT

    On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Damon Anderson wrote:

    > I have a document composed in OpenOffice on Windows

    Which version of Windows? Did you install
     http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/2kintlsupp.mspx
     http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/xpintlsupp.mspx ?

    > using the Verdana font

    The typeface Verdana consists of four fonts:
    plain, italic, bold, bold italic.

    > and the Unikey unicode keyboard driver for Vietnamese.

    Verdana (at least the version of Windows XP) does not include
    Vietnamese glyphs. Your program takes the Vietnamese glyphs
    from some other typeface, perhaps Tahoma.
    Tahoma, by the way, has only two fonts: plain and bold.

    Test your fonts here:
     http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/combining-marks.html
     http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/vietnamese.win.html
     http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/unidata1E.html
     http://niwo.mnsys.org/saved/~flavell/unicode/unidata1E.html

    However, your browser(s) may take the necessary glyphs from other
    fonts - not from the one you selected.