RE: Is Windows 7 Notepad broken?

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Jun 23 2009 - 12:46:35 CDT

    Windows 7 does not support characters in any not-yet-released version of Unicode; and while Phoenician is in Unicode 5.1, it is not a script that we set out to support in Windows 7. Now, Notepad still ought to be able to display characters from the Egyptian Hieroglyphs or Phoenician blocks provided you select a font that supports those characters; I'm not sure why it isn't. All I can say is

    - These scenarios were not tested because we had no specific plans for supporting these scenarios.

    - There was some significant re-engineering done in the text stack that might have impacted such not-yet-supported-but-probably-works-anyways scenarios.

    - We'll look into what's happening.

    In the mean time, I have tried Phoenician in WordPad with the Code2001 font, and that displays OK, at least.

    Peter