Re: Gwoyeu Romatzyh marking the optional neutral tone

From: Christoph Burgmer (cburgmer@ira.uka.de)
Date: Tue Jul 14 2009 - 09:27:15 CDT

    > The 3 pictures all stem from the same book. In 'A Grammar of Spoken
    > Chinese' by Chao the optional tone is more rendered like a small Latin O,
    > less roundish and with stronger sides (excuse my non-typographic
    > description). I'll post a picture once I can get hold of my camera.

    Here are two examples from 'A Grammar of Spoken Chinese' (Yuen Ren Chao,
    University of California Press, Berkeley, 1968, ISBN 0-520-00219-9):

    http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uyhc/files/images/p1070462.jpg
    http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uyhc/files/images/p1070465.jpg

    For me that is clearly a different glyph.

    -Christoph