Re: GR and letter case

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jul 15 2009 - 10:10:52 CDT

    On 7/15/2009 7:22 AM, Christoph Burgmer wrote:
    >> How would we treat letter case as of UTR#21? Even using full stop for the
    >>
    >> compulsory neutral tone turns up wrong title case (example in Python):

    >> 'Bu Jy.Daw'
    >>
    >> Though in my eyes it should be
    >> 'Bu Jy.daw'
    >>

    > Would one map this glyph to the full stop U+002e , as Y.R. Chao probably
    > designed it, and which is used in IPA to separate syllables, or rather look
    > for a character falling in the class "case-ignorable" so that the titlecase
    > algorithm from UTR#21 takes effect?

    The former.

    The titlecase algorithm in UTF#21 is a generic one. It cannot cover all
    uses of all characters in all languages and notations. If you want to
    guarantee a certain result for special notations you would need to
    either provide a special algorithm or correct the results by hand.

    Adding a special period, just to get special behavior, is out of the
    question (meaning, the UTC will never agree to this).

    A./