GR and letter case

From: Christoph Burgmer (cburgmer@ira.uka.de)
Date: Wed Jul 15 2009 - 09:22:34 CDT

    Am Dienstag, 14. Juli 2009 schrieb Christoph Burgmer:
    > Am Dienstag, 14. Juli 2009 schrieb Asmus Freytag:
    > > What you have is a typographically the same thing as if you took the
    > > U+00B0 DEGREE SIGN and moved its circle down from its superscript
    > > position into a subscript position.
    > >
    > > The two characters that come closest are U+02F3 MODIFIER LETTER LOW RING
    > > and U+302D IDEOGRAPHIC ENTERING TONE MARK.
    > >
    > > The latter is a combining mark (intended presumably for ideographs - and
    > > therefore suspect in terms of whether typical implementations would
    > > yield correct alignment with Latin letters). However, the placement of
    > > this character relative to the baseline is close to what the samples
    > > show - at least in some fonts.
    > >
    > > The former may be too low: the sample glyph in the Unicode code charts
    > > rests entirely below the baseline - depending on the font, even quite
    > > far below.
    > >
    > > A new character,
    > >
    > > SUBSCRIPT RING
    > >
    > > would be my recommendation
    >
    > How would we treat letter case as of UTR#21? Even using full stop for the
    >
    > compulsory neutral tone turns up wrong title case (example in Python):
    >
    > 'Bu Jy.Daw'
    >
    > Though in my eyes it should be
    > 'Bu Jy.daw'
    >
    > Would UTR#21 even handle those cases? Would such a character fall into the
    > "Letter Modifier" class?

    I'd like to re-raise this question more explicitly for the compulsory neutral
    tone, as its usage seems to be official.

    Would one map this glyph to the full stop U+002e , as Y.R. Chao probably
    designed it, and which is used in IPA to separate syllables, or rather look
    for a character falling in the class "case-ignorable" so that the titlecase
    algorithm from UTR#21 takes effect?
    -Christoph