GR and letter case Was: Gwoyeu Romatzyh marking the optional neutral tone

From: Christoph Burgmer (cburgmer@ira.uka.de)
Date: Tue Jul 14 2009 - 03:09:16 CDT

    Am Dienstag, 14. Juli 2009 schrieb Asmus Freytag:
    > What you have is a typographically the same thing as if you took the
    > U+00B0 DEGREE SIGN and moved its circle down from its superscript
    > position into a subscript position.
    >
    > The two characters that come closest are U+02F3 MODIFIER LETTER LOW RING
    > and U+302D IDEOGRAPHIC ENTERING TONE MARK.
    >
    > The latter is a combining mark (intended presumably for ideographs - and
    > therefore suspect in terms of whether typical implementations would
    > yield correct alignment with Latin letters). However, the placement of
    > this character relative to the baseline is close to what the samples
    > show - at least in some fonts.
    >
    > The former may be too low: the sample glyph in the Unicode code charts
    > rests entirely below the baseline - depending on the font, even quite
    > far below.
    >
    > A new character,
    >
    > SUBSCRIPT RING
    >
    > would be my recommendation

    How would we treat letter case as of UTR#21? Even using full stop for the
    compulsory neutral tone turns up wrong title case (example in Python):

    >>> "bu jy.daw".title()
    'Bu Jy.Daw'

    Though in my eyes it should be
    'Bu Jy.daw'

    Would UTR#21 even handle those cases? Would such a character fall into the
    "Letter Modifier" class?
    Python btw has a buggy implementation for UTR#21, so this example is as far as
    you can go.

    -Christoph