Re: Gwoyeu Romatzyh marking the optional neutral tone

From: André Szabolcs Szelp (a.sz.szelp@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 14 2009 - 03:46:28 CDT

    OR it is a subscript *ring* _inspired_by_ "zero" but not intending to by
    glyphtically zero. C.f. some phonetic usages of superscript ring modelled on
    "o" for denoting labialization, which is definitely a ring and not an
    superscript "o" for it's parallel in the same notational system with
    prime/acute for palatalization. E.g. Petrovici's work on Rumanian phonetics
    and phonology "Kann das Phonemsystem einer Sprache durch fremden Einfluss
    umgestaltet werden? Zum slavischen Einfluss auf das rumänische Lautsystem."
    Mouton 1957.

    This, in accordance with George was my first impression. Of course, it's
    possible that both facts (tone zero and ideographic period in parallel with
    the period for non-optional neutral) have influenced his choice.

    Nice example of multiple causes.

    Szabolcs