Re: Hangul syllable decomposition types

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Fri Jul 24 2009 - 12:44:23 CDT

    All of the HANGUL SYLLABLEs have canonical decompositions. They are
    specified by arithmetic formula rather than by explicit tabulation.
    That is just because that is more practical, given that there are
    more than eleven thousand of them, and they have a certain system
    to them making the arithmetic approach possible.

    See http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch03.pdf, section 3.12, and
    http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.1.0/, Clarification of Hangul Jamo
    handling, and http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr15/.

    Unfortunately they do not always fully decompose to the sequence
    of individual letters of the Hangul script, but to "letter clusters".
    But that is another story.

        /kent k