From: Karl Pentzlin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Date: Sun Aug 16 2009 - 14:58:54 CDT
Am Sonntag, 16. August 2009 um 20:37 schrieb Jukka K. Korpela:
JKK> Since others (including me) have different experiences, there's something
JKK> special in your test arrangements.
Revisiting my test data, I was fooled at least partially by an error
in my HTML editor, which I could reproduce now.
I had used KomPozer 0.7.10 from http://kompozer.sourceforge.net/
(which I use as I did not find until now any lightweight HTML editor which
processes non-Win1252 keyboard input correctly).
I had prepared the test string (the four letters "test" + SHY) within
BabelMap 18.104.22.168 where I used the Copy button, and pasted the string
several times in the HTML editor into an empty page, while UTF-8 was
configured in the options as standard encoding.
Nevertheless, I had created a page which contains a header containing:
but a binary 0xAD at the places where the UTF-8 encoding of the SHY
had to occur.
Of course, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Firefox cannot be blamed
for finding no SHY in the such generated broken UTF-8 sequences.
In fact, these programs show correctly encoded text containing SHY
(like my original mail in the Unicode Mail Archives) correctly.
Nevertheless, when I do the same in Word 2007 (hitting Copy in
BabelPad and pasting it several times into an empty document), and then
mark all text and change the font size, I get wrong line breaks as the
attached picture show. When I store this text to an HTML page, the
SHYs however appear correct.
- Karl Pentzlin
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Sun Aug 16 2009 - 15:01:39 CDT