Re: Confusion about weak and strong disunification

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Aug 17 2009 - 15:16:09 CDT

    On 8/17/2009 3:56 AM, verdy_p wrote:
    > "Asmus Freytag" wrote:
    >
    >> For Cyrillic, many character sets exist (and have existed for a long
    >> time, even prior to Unicode) that contain _both_ the Latin alphabet and
    >> the Cyrillic alphabet. The shape "a" occurs in both alphabets, and has
    >> been encoded using two character codes. On the other hand the shape "z"
    >> is thought to occur only in one alphabet (the Latin) and is coded only
    >> once. If some not-so-well-known language has been written in Cyrillic,
    >> but using the "z" shape, all digitally encoded documents created would
    >> have to have used the "z" shape with the character code in the Latin
    >> alphabet section of those character sets.
    >>

    > A more convincing strong disunification
    Your use of "strong disunification" in this message does *not* match the
    way that expression is used in the Principles & Procedures document.
    Therefore, you are simply *adding* to the confusion by applying this
    term to yet another concept. As the original message asked for
    clarification of the use of this term in the P&P document, I'll just
    point that out. There's little need to then address your discussion,
    which appears to about something altogether different. BTW, the P&P
    document is written from the perspective of helping to evaluate
    character encoding proposals. It does not attempt to retrospectively
    apply to all instances of unification decisions.

    A./