Re: Greek characters in IPA usage

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Aug 18 2009 - 15:20:26 CDT

    On 8/18/2009 12:28 PM, Christoph Päper wrote:
    > Roozbeh Pournader:
    >> On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 10:51 +0100, Julian Bradfield wrote:
    >>> Is it really the case that Arabic and Hindi speakers *can't read*
    >>> unshaped script?
    >>
    >> Yes. Most of them can't. Disjoint Arabic script is very hard to read
    >> by the average person (...). It's *not* comparable to, say, reading
    >> Latin in ALL CAPS.
    >
    > I won’t disagree that people who have Arabic as a first script are not
    > used to and would rather not read it segmentally[1], but I don’t
    > believe they’re unable to read it. Do you know studies to back up this
    > claim or is it just your experience?
    And even if they could, it's not a piece of information that's of
    practical use. Rather like knowing whether you or anyone else can read
    Latin upside down, or mirror image. Yes, you can ascertain that fact,
    but there's no practical use I or anyone in the character coding
    community could make of such facts.

    A./