Re: Greek characters in IPA usage

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 19 2009 - 12:28:09 CDT

    On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Julian
    Bradfield<jcb+unicode@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
    > The argument is that IPA and Greek letters are *logically
    > separate* letters, and should therefore be encoded separately, for the
    > sake of data processing on them.

    I don't buy it. It is trivial for an algorithm to tell that aβs is
    IPA; it's impossible for an algorithm or even a human to tell whether
    abs is IPA or plain old Latin characters. In my particular version of
    Cleanicode, I would disunify IPA from Latin, but in the real world ,
    if you're doing data processing on IPA, you've tagged it, either
    explicitly or implicitly. What data processing are you doing that aβs
    is a problem but not abs?

    --
    Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.