Why are the double-part Indic vowel signs decomposable

From: Shriramana Sharma (samjnaa@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 03 2009 - 04:13:36 CDT

    The Unicode Standard repeats in every Indic script in chapter 9 that
    vowels are encoded atomically. Yet "compatibility decompositions" are
    provided for all the two-part Indic vowels. Why is the decomposition
    used at all? If you are encoding atomically, then it means the vowels
    are mutually exclusive, and it actually doesn't make any sense to compose:

    TAMIL LETTER KA + TAMIL VOWEL SIGN E + TAMIL VOWEL SIGN AA

    instead of just:

    TAMIL LETTER KA + TAMIL VOWEL SIGN O

    Perhaps it is said that this decomposition exists for backward
    compatibility. Then if I am encoding a new Indic script, then I don't
    need to provide these decompositions, right?

    --
    Shriramana Sharma