Re: Run-time checking of fonts for Sinhala support

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Mon Sep 07 2009 - 22:06:16 CDT

    Chris Fynn <cfynn at gmx dot net> wrote:

    > IMO this could rapidly get very complex and a nightmare to maintain.
    > In fact I fear *requirements* like this could turn out to be be a big
    > disincentive for developers to add support for complex scripts - or at
    > least further delay them adding such support.

    My thoughts as well. There will always be some vendors, particularly
    those based in Sinhala-speaking areas, that will make the effort to
    adhere to the standard; but the higher the bar is set, the less likely
    it is that the major international vendors will bother trying to clear
    it.

    > What happens if my OS rejects a Sinhala font that actually works -
    > can the font developer try and claim compensation from me when his
    > customers demand their money back and the fault turns out to be my
    > less than perfect run time checking not his font?

    Somehow I am reminded of the passage in GB 18030-2000 in which a Chinese
    government bureau would monitor new software products marketed in China
    for compliance, and "[i]f new product is found to be inconsistent with
    new standard, the related IT company will be punished". Software sold
    to ordinary civilians for ordinary uses should not evoke fears of 3 a.m.
    knocks on the front door.

    --
    Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s