RE: "Pentagram" as an art form

From: Hohberger, Clive (CHohberger@zebra.com)
Date: Wed Oct 28 2009 - 12:27:09 CST

    Andreas,
    Nice stories! And "pentagram" is a very appropriate name for the art form.

    As one who has written poetry in English I am very concerned with the spatial arrangement of words on the page. William's original idea was 2/3/2 on one line with a space between groups. I tried that, and it didn't work for my material. My pentagram "Hurricane" may be translated as three fragments, rather than 1 continuous thought. This is more like a haiku.

        [cid:008525117@28102009-0583]
              "We had a hurricane, and it rained.
              The sea was rough and we were hit by a great wave: I was terrified.
              Then the sun came out; at night the stars shined brightly."

    Your pentagrams strike me as one continuous thought. Take your "Escapade" which really works well as one line of 5 emoji:

    [cid:008525117@28102009-058A]
    Excuse me if I mistranslate, but I read it as roughly:

            "I bought tickets and flew on a plane and cruised in a boat, had dinner and went to bed."

    I think the beauty of a new art from is that we can make our own rules: We do that now in modern versus classical poetry. I say WHATEVER FORM WORKS for what you are trying to communicate!

    Regards,
    Clive

    Clive P. Hohberger, PhD

    cph13@case.edu<mailto:cph13@case.edu>